To a Friend


I don't know if you've been reading my blog, but if you have time, you should.

I freaking love my job. I picked Colombia kind of randomly but it turns out I'm living in the middle of a magically unique ecosystem while working on a proposal to protect it. My team at The Nature Conservancy is applying for a grant to conduct detailed hydrological mapping and two "pilot projects" in the Magdalena River Basin, to serve as best practice examples for (the government and) other groups who choose to grapple with this in the future. (Which they'll have to because Colombia's crazy topography paired with climate change is starting to give rise to some previously unparalleled natural disasters.) The Magdalena is the biggest and most important river for the country both in terms of ecological services and for...their GDP.

So it's fantastically educational work, my colleagues are unbelievable, and I'm surrounded by Spanish all day. If there's a heaven, it's located on the 2nd floor of a conservation NGO.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bygones -- by Marina Keegan

Day 97: I might steal your clothes and wear them if they fit me.

This is my smoke signal!