Día 294: "Society can be a wilderness too."

Today started as many of the best days do -- with a great conversation. Ben and I met for breakfast and “meditation talk,” and ended up hitting on many of the thoughts that have been flitting through my mind lately, about college, life, self-actualization, and other such fairly grand topics.


It’s a bit difficult to return to work after a talk like this, but this morning, it was time to buckle down and finalize the phrasing of the ICI proposal...for real. Diana and Julianna plugged away while I made rude remarks that earned me the nickname “ill-mannered” in Spanish from my colleagues.


For lunch, some of us went to El Corral, but Mauricio and I made for the mall to do some errands. As he found an ATM, I searched for a “secret book” which I only later revealed to him was his very own copy of The Power of Now, in which he had expressed an interest at lunch yesterday.


The afternoon held a bit more of the same “hawk-eyed copy editing” before we felt like we were at a good stopping point. This also seemed like a good point to go out for farewell drinks for Ben. I enjoyed my mango smoothie and the usual chistoso conversation before it was, sadly enough, time to say “再見” to Benjamin!


Back home, I had my first real exchange of today with the birthday girl, our very own Laurita Kambourian, the best person I know.


After a talk too short and lightning-paced summaries of our days, we had to put our discussion on pause as I went to dinner with my Colombian family, to celebrate both Laura’s birthday and the anniversary of Viviana and Leo.


We had a nice dinner with wonderful desserts and plenty of jokes at the expense of Papa’s Spanish, and I’m now home speeding to finish this post before midnight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bygones -- by Marina Keegan

Day 97: I might steal your clothes and wear them if they fit me.

This is my smoke signal!