Skip to main content

10 Days of Growth: Vipassana Meditation Retreat

How does one write about ten days spent alone with oneself?

I've been wondering since Day 1 of my silent meditation course. I think my tone would have been different had I written on any one of the days, depending on the day. Look -- my words are falling over themselves! Do I focus on the philosophy or the routine? The time spent meditating or the time spent thinking in between sessions? Each aspect was equally educational, equally revealing. I actually became so overwhelmed wondering where to start this post that I had to meditate for a few minutes to focus myself and calm down. How cute.

I'll rely largely on questions from you all to fill in the gaps of this post, but I would like to share at least some part of an experience which has been different from any I've had before, to say the least.

The gong belched its announcement at 4am each day.

From bed to the meditation hall (or sometimes, meditation in bed). We "start[ed] again," aching for the morning chanting to start, announcing that breakfast was just half an hour away. Half-sleeping, half-observing, we stumbled our way through that first session and made it to our morning meal.

It's 6:30. Porridge time.

The porridge was my favorite. Plain, bland, white porridge. One of the highlights of my day. Not one cordial "excuse me" was spoken, no "thank you" to the fellow meditator who'd offer you a ladle to serve your breakfast or hand you a towel to dry off your plate. We observed strict आर्य मोन, or Noble Silence -- quietude of voice, facial expression, and gesture. But why talk anyway? From "wasn't the hall cold this morning?" to "I had the most amazing experience last session!" what is there to say, really?

The course is about oneself.

We throw around "know thyself" more often than perhaps proper; I know I say I "learned a lot about myself" when I have an educative experience. But what else is there to learn about when you're in a room for ten days and the most "fun" thing you do daily is count down the days in the dwindling multivitamins you have left?

8:00 and it's back to the hall.

You're satiated, you've bathed -- you feel fresh. This session requires अदिथन, strong determination -- you're not to move your body or open your eyes for the hour. You make it through half before starting to fidget; you promise to be more disciplined next session. Finally, the loudspeaker utters the Hindi word for "impermanent" (everything is impermanent) and the time is up!

Just in time to meditate some more.

You're in charge of yourself for the next two hours. No motivation from the other closed-eyed students sitting around you -- it's to your room or your cell and it's your responsibility to use your time well. (Meditation in bed often turns into a nap -- everything is impermanent.)

That gong again!

But this time a pleasing sound. Lunch. The spread is delectable; the company can become monotonous -- Ratna. I had lunch with Ratna daily for the past ten days. And breakfast with Ratna. And tea with Ratna. Ratna.

And now it's truly naptime.

Whether you rest or you dream, the next hour is yours. Yours to hear songs in your head and not sing them; yours to be unable to sleep now though you always fall asleep when you're not supposed to.

1:30 and you're your own master.

More individual meditation. All up to you how seriously you take it, how much you imbibe the technique, how much you push yourself.

2:30 and it's back to the hall.

Another still session. If you open your eyes, you promise not to move your body. If you move your body, you promise not to open your eyes.

3:30 and I need to meditate more?!

Again, alone. Self-driven. Self-motivated.

Tea at 5:00 couldn't come sooner.

Puffed rice and bananas have never tasted this good.

Finally, something to look at!

The afternoon is when most people would come out for a stroll. By the end of a week you could recognize any of the other 39 female meditators just by a glance at their feet. You generalized about them; made up their life stories in your head. You gave them nicknames -- "Coughing Auntie," "Skinny Didi," "Runner Lady."

The 6:00 session was smoother.

With your circulation flowing it was easier to concentrate. Still nearly impossible not to shift about, but easier to observe one body, one's thoughts.

The best part of the day!

A discourse in the evening, when our doubts were clarified while Goenka, our guru, made us chuckle and think.

One last short meditation session.

And after that, bed.


I plastered the Vipassana Timetable all over my blog before leaving, but it only dawned on me while I was there how much meditating there was. I mean, of course, but what to do for a break? One's options included brushing one's teeth and looking out the window. No reading or writing. No singing or dancing (I mean, I did dance a few times). Of course, the schedule is not all that I would like to discuss about my experience, but I think it does offer a view into the intense nature of the course.

I'm sure the philosophy of Vipassana will permeate my next few days' posts, but in the meantime, please feel free to post comments with questions about the technique and my experience with it. Don't be afraid of asking too personal a question. I am grateful to have received this experience so early in my life, and eager to share it with you all.


  1. you are too amazing. hope we can meditate together sometime!

  2. Hey - nice to have you back! I don't know how you retained your sanity through ten days of silence, especially given how much you enjoy connecting with people. Weren't you afflicted by loneliness and boredom, apart from craving for junk food? It's really creditable that you saw it through - hope the after effects are good!

    1. I think that ten days of connecting with myself were almost like connecting with someone new, if that makes sense. It was fun to observe myself! Well, in spurts . . . I mean I spent most of my "free" time counting down the seconds until the course would end. It wasn't that I wanted to be anywhere else; it was just that I couldn't believe how slowly the time seemed to pass, even the last few days! Loneliness wasn't terrible but boredom YES and I kept imagining random chocolates and ice creams I wanted, even though I'm not much of a foodie -- crazy. Now I just need to practice! Two for two days so far!!

  3. Ratna, why does the quality of writing in your posts continually assure me that, someday soon, you'll write the next great Western classic or something? When that day comes, I expect a free signed copy. :)


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bygones -- by Marina Keegan

I had a dream the other night that I was checking my email.

That dream sucks.

And woke to woes of seniors writing

love songs for tomorrow and

Tomorrow and the melodies

That flirt us forward, whispering

the next thing and the next thing

and  – so we beat on

birds flocking south until we

circle round and realize maybe

maybe all that running wasn’t worth it.

Maybe we should build a cabin.

Or teach high school.

Or use our hands.

My palms are smooth as words –

Weak with fashion and double spaces.

I want everyone else’s club and job and class

The grass I sleep in always browner than

Than that around erasing dreams

To sit and breathe because you

Only bank for two years then it's over

And twenty two is nothing new

It’s just another chance to build

For when we’re twenty three

And twenty four

And time begins to sell for more than

Any 9 a.m. to never.

We’re not stuck.

That's the thing, we're not stuck.

We owe no one our nothings.

Yale will be what it was,

Gothic dreams of lucky, of…

Day 351: You can place your bets, world.

I started the day with a grave mistake -- eating butter chicken for breakfast. Those ten minutes of scream-inducing euphoria were hardly worth the sluggish pace and sessile nature of the rest of my day. I attempted to counteract the unfailing lethargy which results from consumption of Punjabi food by swallowing down some coffee ice cream, thereby only adding to my foods-that-should-not-be-eaten-for-breakfast list and exacerbating the problem.

We left home before noon for Shenandoah National Park, with hot air ballooning dreams for the day. We soon learned, however, that due to impending thunderstorms, this mission would not be successful. We instead spent the day exploring the side of the park we've never seen before.

We had a lunch of fried chicken at one of the park's rest stops before piling back in the car and driving around some more. At a lookout point, we met a park ranger who showed us the coat of a lynx found in the park and suggested a trail for us to hike. We fou…

My Move to Mumbai: Frequently Asked Questions

Hello, dear readers!

By now, you've probably heard the news: in Ratna's-gap-year fashion, I've taken a leap and moved to Mumbai for a one-year consultancy with Aangan Trust, a nonprofit that works to make sure that even the most vulnerable child has the right to a childhood free from trafficking, child marriage, child labor, and abuse.

Transitions are tough, and it turns out that this one is no different, even though it's one that I've chosen for myself and been very excited about for a while. It's one thing to pack up your bags from New York and move to a new place in Mumbai; it's quite another to adjust to the daily reminders of the little things you don't yet understand about where you live, and the small ways in which you don't fit in.

Part of what has made the transition tricky is a stream of (well-intentioned) questions that sometimes make me feel like I have to justify why I made the choice to be here. These can be hard for me because someti…